Monday, June 17, 2013

How to use technology to be a superhero...

If you're like me, there is nothing better than being the superman in your children's eyes. My two children give me so much motivation that I figure I might as well use it to make their childhood a little extra special wherever I can. A long time ago, I realized not being with my children was my kryptonite.

I work in technology, and seeing as how I need to stay up on the current trends of the day, I am often amazed when I look back into my childhood and realize just how far we are from the days of pong and Colecovision. Those seemed like simpler days. well, at least they do to us, the adults. I remembered the complete amazement I felt when my Dad took my nose, or made a bouncing red rubber ball appear out of thin air from behind my ear. Then I realized that it is not so much that those days were simpler... I just was.

So, I had a novel thought. Seeing as how much of the technology today still amazes me, I started to imagine what effect it might have on my children if utilized correctly. Gone are the days of slight of hand... now any Joe can be the keeper of the secrets of real magic. So, I set off on my journey to really knock the socks off of my kids. I was not going to be happy until I had the most magical powers ever known to man. I mean, I could instantly turn off the Xbox with a slight movement of my hand, and to top it off... there was no clapping involved (I still laugh thinking about the old Clapper commercials).

Now, I just wanted to offer up a little background into what I do. I am a networking guy, but I don't just do your normal computer networking. Oh no! I like to play with machine to machine networking, wireless networking, smart home devices, and the like. With devices like those, you can really go overboard. However there are a few things that every guy or girl can do to use technology as their own special magic.

If you have an Xbox, use Smart Glass to control your Xbox. Let's say the children are watching Bob the Builder on Netflix, randomly pause the show and fake a cough every time you do. Then sit back and watch the children's faces.

If you have a smart phone, download your favorite song. Then lip sync the words to it while you're in the vehicle with the children. Convince them that this is the way you sing.... and watch their faces.

There are so many ways to use technology to become a superhero/magic man in your children's eyes. What are some of the ways that you use technology to make your children's lives more fun filled? Respond in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment